Tuesday, January 26

Still On Time

I leave my apartment at 8:02 on the dot, just as soon as NY1's Weather on the Ones is over. My jacket hung open and toting a coffee filled Dixie cup, I walk down Bennett towards the train station.

I am pondering risqué Unix commands when Shifra A. drives by in her black SUV. Just waiting for the cars to pass so I can cross, I don't notice her until she waves.  At the entrance to the station, I see Avi C. He is a few feet ahead of me and I don't think he notices. I am friendly with his older brother and don’t really know him that well, but we spent much of last Sukkot together.

On the train, I sit across from a girl I recognize from synagogue. She has funky diamond-knit tights, a gray plaid skirt, and a puffy black coat. She looks utterly bored.

The woman next to me, reading "The Kite Runner," is pressing her right thigh against mine. I inch away slightly and notice the dirt stains on her white coat.  Just then, a new song comes on. "What's the meaning of life?" Gabriella Cilme asks me through my headphones. I start to wonder.

0 comments:

Post a Comment