Thursday, May 27

Taxi, Please

I flossed too hard and now my tooth hurts.  That's what I'm thinking about as I pass Ezra F. on 186th Street, on the way to the A train.   There is a bit of commotion in the station and before I get to the platform I smell smoke.  At the top of the stairs, I can see it's coming from the tracks.  Fellow passengers are debating if the train is still running, and one laughably states that they won't risk trappage on a smoking train. A girl standing next to me looks vaguely familiar so I smile and say hi.

The announcement that train service has been suspended comes a moment later.  I head out and see Ezra B. and ask if he'd like to split a cab.  He knows the girl that had been standing next to me - Rach M. - and asks her if she also wants to take a cab.  It turns out that Rach is roommates with Zippy K. and we head out to meet up with her so that she can join us too.

We walk towards Zippy on Broadway, but she passes us on a different street, so we hail a gypsy cab and go pick her up.  I find the car comfortable and roomy, despite being in the middle of the back seat.  Zippy and Rach are both sipping coffee, Zippy from the same Dixie "Grab N' Go" cups I use, except she has crushed the bottom of hers. I wish I hadn't finished mine so quickly.

The three of us talk about all manners of things, including but not limited to Toronto weddings, Central Park North, and the Israeli Day Parade.  One by one the cab drops each of us off near our respective workplaces.  Was it not for the whopping $40 price tag (a complete rip off despite Ezra's subtle complaint that he's previously paid only $25 for the same distance) I'd suggest we do this every day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment