Thursday, July 23

Lotus

I'm already late when I leave my apartment at 9:00 AM, mostly due to sleeplessness and tardiness. I drop off my laundry and carefully avoid a large pile of broken glass on the way to the train station. Today is another Sudoku day, I've brought with me the book Genna gave me a year and a half ago and I'm determined to finish it. The puzzles get progressively harder and even though I can average 3-4 per ride I'm still in the "easy" section.

In the tunnel leading to the station I see Josh S. leaving the train. He doesn't wave or say hello and I continue on to the platform. I have numerous "usual spots" on the platform, depending on whether I'm getting breakfast, stopping at the gym, or going straight to work. I'm going straight today and at this usual spot I see an unidentified Jewish girl saying her morning prayers. Also here, ironically, is Moshe G. who until last week was the rabbinic intern at the local synagogue. I don't think he knows who I am and so I don't bother to say hello.

On the train there a white haired man is meditating. His hands are resting on his knees, palms up, his index fingers touching thumbs. His back is in perfect posture and his eyes are closed. When I sit next to him I try not to disrupt his lotus energy but he open his eyes ever so slightly and turns them towards me without moving his head. When he returns to his pose, I snap a few shots and wonder if he suspects that he is the subject at the other end of the shutter’s sound. He doesn't stir, and I give up and play Sudoku.

1 comments:

Zev said...

How does that guy know when to get off the train? Could you ask him next time you see him?

Post a Comment