Friday, July 10

182 Bennett

I've got to make a stop before work this morning, at an apartment in the famed 182 Bennett. Its famous because the building is so heavily populated by young Orthodox singles and newlywed couples. On the way there I pass the local synagogue and the superintendent is out front hosing the sidewalk. I also see Ezra F. and David H. finishing up conversation near the side entrance. David happens to live in 182 Bennett and I am just a few feet ahead of him when he starts walking home.

In the elevator I run into Adina L. She has a bag full of groceries and says she's going to get some cooking done before heading for work. I ask if she'll be biking to work today and she says she wasn't planning on it but if I was, she'd ride with me. Maybe Monday, I say.

David has caught up and is also in the elevator with us. I don't know him too well, though we met through a mutual friend many years ago. He has an older brother Carl I'd met way back in high school, but that story is too long and too old to even think about.

I make the drop and head back downstairs and towards the train station. On the way I bump into Adina's husband Yaakov R. He says good morning and sounds surprised when I tell him I've just seen his wife in the elevator. He doesn't understand why she isn't at work. I wonder if he realizes I was away in Chicago last weekend with his twin brother, who's now married to my former neighbor and has an adorable 3 month baby.

Further towards the station I see Ari R. and we chat for a few seconds. We're both late to work, but he works in the neighborhood and has a five minute commute. I think about all the money I'd save if I could just go home for lunch every day instead of going out.

On the platform, I spot Kenny H. who lives in my building. He doesn't see me. It's so late the train is hardly crowded when I get on. To my left a woman in a red skirt is reading about Obama shaking hands with Khadafy, and on the other side a man is reading an article about vacationing titled "Ditch the City." I annoyingly read tidbits over his shoulder most of the ride, until an embarrassingly powerful sneeze sends my yamika careening across the car.

0 comments:

Post a Comment