Tuesday, August 25

Red

I’m almost out of clean clothes, which is not a good thing considering I've reverted to my "late every day" schedule. I drop my laundry at the Laundromat, and the woman asks about delivery, to which I concede and then head back down Broadway. Behind me I catch the glimpse of a young woman in light colored shorts and a gray t-shirt. Her legs are long, and her hair is an intriguing, fiery red. I can't tell if it is natural or not but I am apprehensive to turn around and check. I do it anyway, sheepishly trying to look poised when I do, but it turns out she is too far away and the mystery persists. I slow my pace, then try again. Up ahead, near Key Food, I spot Avi Z. all dressed up for work. I can’t remember ever seeing him in anything but casual, except in synagogue.

Back on Bennett, I am almost entirely sure that is Ayala S. walking ahead in the distance, her back to me. Near the subway station, I spot Estie H. She is wearing a long black skirt and dark long sleeve shirt. I want to say hello but she is ahead of me and once inside she takes the upper catwalk above the platform. Once upon a time, I would frequently use the catwalk in the mornings, to avoid running into people. This was better than the risk of spending the entire commute forced to talk with some socially awkward neighbor I barely know. I don’t think she has even seen me, but for a moment I wonder if she is avoiding me on the catwalk.

On the platform, I am convinced I see Lisa K. until I am close enough to realize the person in question looks nothing like her. I do see Aliza B. who waves and asks how I’m doing. We board the train and there are no seats, but at least I get the best stand in the house – right next to the connecting doors at the end of the car. At 175th, Aliza gets a seat, not too far from where I’m standing and one stop later, I am lucky to get a seat of my own as well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment