Monday, August 3

My Fare Lady

I'm a bit late and rushing as I go downstairs and run into the building superintendant. I've left the keys with him so he can install a new stove in my kitchen while I'm at work, and as I walk by he slaps me a high 5 and says we are all set to go.

At the station there is a small buildup of traffic at the turnstiles. A women in front of me is trying to get through but the message reads "Insufficient Fare." She tries again. Again. And again. Behind me, a man makes a clicking noise with his tongue against his front teeth, and follows it with a sigh. The fare on the card is still insufficient when she tries a fourth time. Finally, she doubles back to go get a new card and I see she is somewhat attractive. In her late 30's and rather tall, she is wearing uncreased navy pants and a white short sleeve shirt with an orange pattern. Her short, cropped hair is dyed blonde with red highlights.

David M. is on the platform and we wave good morning to each other as I pass him and head towards my usual spot. I also see Michael, whose last name I can never recall, sitting on a bench. He is blond and I remember him from an overseas summer study program we both attended. It was the summer between my Sophomore and Junior years at college, and although we ended up living in the same neighborhood, I don't think I have spoken to him since.

Down towards my spot there is a gentleman playing guitar and singing beautifully in Spanish . The guitar is old but the tone is crisp as the man picks at the strings, and his voice is both soothing and relaxing, a surprise in the New York City subway.

The train arrives, and I sit near a window. The lady with the insufficient fare sits next to me and it is now that I notice her brown leather flats, which have a gator skin pattern. She is of East European decent, or perhaps Russian, it is difficult to tell exactly. Like me, she spends most of the ride focused diligently on her blackberry.

Later, outside the bagel store, I see Chaim H. He is an old friend from college that I started running into when Cafe K stopped opening for breakfast, and I started going to Milk and Honey instead. As I head towards my office I think of the guitar player on the station and wish I had thought to drop some money in his case.

0 comments:

Post a Comment