Tuesday, June 15

Sticky Situation

The "True Blood" season 3 premiere is loaded on my phone and ready to go. I just need to avoid people at all costs; if I start watching as soon as I get on the subway, I should be able to finish the entire episode before I get to work.

Its unusual how the vampire culture has entranced the modern audience. This leaves me, a fan of vampires long before their Americanization (I own a copy of the original Bram Stroker film, starring Bela Lugosi, from 1931) with a bit of scorn and disdain. I remember a time when vampires were the evil, soulless creatures that haunted the night. Today's undead wimps couldn't beat My Little Pony in a wrestling match if their lives depended on it. At least they’ve managed to gain a great deal of sexiness in the transformation.

After saying goodbye to my cleaning woman I run into my next door neighbor, wish him a good morning, and head downstairs. In the lobby Mo H. bolts past me, holding his tefillin in one hand and his E.M.T. radio in the other. I can't tell if he's on an emergency call or just late to minyan, or both.

Walking down the steps to the platform, a woman stops abruptly. She is quite tall, and lanky, with light gray pants an elegant sleeveless top. She has stepped in gum, and in her struggle to dislodge it from the bottom of her sandal she has created a stringy mess that spans both feet, two stairs, and the banister. When she sees I've noticed she starts to crack up and we both have a good laugh to start the day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment